Thursday, August 7, 2008

Guest Speaker: Dr. Abrams

Guest Speaker: Dr.Abrams
July 31, 2008
“Poetry and Metaphors”

I have had Dr. Abrams as a guest speaker before and I have enjoyed her on both occasions. She is a very knowledgeable woman and she gave a lot of good suggestions that I plan to apply in my classrooms. Our discussion on assessing poetry was informative because I have always questioned how I received a grade on poetry assignments. I believe that some teachers do not take the time to learn about the art form and therefore basis their grading on personal taste. I liked the poetry exercise we did in class, and I plan on taking that poem and working with it further. Dr. Abrams also gave some writing books that I would like to look into for my classrooms. I have always been a fan of journal writing for classes, and Dr. Abrams elaborated on some prompts that could help with that process. Writing exercises can help students improve writing. I believe some classrooms forget this and do not allow students to write freely. Our discussion on metaphors was also very informative; my wheel were turning with Dr. Abrams discussed the metaphors in a classroom. Wow, what a way to think about your students. Having a different metaphor between student and teacher is liking speaking two different languages. I am eager to look into metaphors in more depth to prepare myself for my student teaching experience.

No comments: